January 29, 2010

St George Painters Half Marathon

Well I did it! I want to thank Amy for talking me into doing this, other wise I would have never done it.
I started training for this a while ago and was pretty dilligent about following the routine I was supposed to follow, well most of the time. The bad thing was I did all of my training on a treadmill. So when it came to running outside on asphalt it was really tough for me.

The plan was to leave on Thursday afternoon around 1. When Kris left that morning he took my car to Sears to get new tires on it (why did you need to know we had to put tires on the car, well keep reading) Well we left at one, ran by the office so I can clean it a little bit, after that we got on the freeway to head out of town and noticed that the cruise control didnt work. So we stopped off at our wonderful mechanic at Layton Tunex to have him check it out. Looked over it and said it could be a few things but it would take some time to get the part in. We said well order the part and when we get back we will fix it. No sooner we get on the car wouldnt shift into another gear. Now if you dont know all ready we had to put a new tranie in the car a month ago (dumb FORDS). So my first thought was great the tranie is out all ready. Went back to the shop and found out that is was some thing that tells the computer to tell it something and gosh I really dont know what it is called. So they ordered it and after waiting for what seemed like forever (it wasnt) they got it fixed and at 4 we were on our way. Thanks guys at Tunex for getting right to it and getting it done for us.
On the way down right about Fillmore it was snowing and the wind was blowing like crazy. We were pretty scared for a little bit but of course Kris being the cautious driver he is got us there safely.
Friday we took our time getting ready and rested then meet my parents at the place where the race was going to start and checked that out, then they took us to a museum there. It was pretty cool! Then we went back to the house we were staying at and chilled there for a bit then meet my parents for dinner.
Saturday I got up at 7 had some yogart and we were at the race by 8:15. Race started at 9 and away I went. At mile two a horse jotted down the street with us (it got out of the field) and I shedded my jacket because I was getting hot all ready. At mile 9 I started to have some really sharp pain in my knees. At mile 10.5 I hurt so bad I felt like my knees shattered. So I figured before that my pace was about 8 mins/mile. However after my knees started to hurt I lost so much time. I was such a baby because I started to cry as people I passed long time ago where starting to pass me. Anyway I finished the race and pretty much dropped into my dads arms. Kris had lifted Broc on the other side so he can finish it with me and that was neat, would have been better if I wasnt hurting so bad. After i crossed the finish line all I wanted to do was get in the car and get back to the house to put ice on my knees.

What an accomplisment for myself I am proud of myself for doing it and hope to do it again next year, however this summer I will train more. And my Dad said he would do it with me if I did it again, so that right there is reason enough for me to do it again. So till next year everyone!
Oh yeah I am sure you all want to know my time......

It was 2:38 mins.
You can check out the race http://strideracing.com/2010/st-george-half-marathon-5k.html
P.S.
As you look at the pics you can tell how excited I was about the race and you can certainly tell when I started hurting as that is when I started walking and of course my face tells it all. So dont laugh at the pics with my silly face!

7 comments:

Granny/Lynda said...

Wow, you are AWESOME. Love you, Lynda

FidFam said...

Way to go! I'm so happy you did it. I can't wait to hear all the details when we get together SOON.

Roscoe and Daisy said...

That is really neat Tracey! I am so proud of you! One day I will do one with you! :)

Bobbidee said...

Good job Trac! I am so proud of you! What an accomplishment after all you have been through!!! :)

Marylynne said...

Way awesome Tracy. I need to get motivated to do my 5k!! Ya im with Keri cant wait to hear all about it when we get together!! Its be like forever!!

Unknown said...

congratulations! one day I hope to achieve this lofty goal myself! i am just roaming around blogs, looking for ones of interest. I like yours! I am actually adopted, so your button caught my attention. My blog is at: www.nottooseriousihope.blogspot.com

I look forward to reading more and hope you visit me too!

Nancy Mc said...

Congrats! What an awesome goal that you have achieved! I hope your knee stops giving you grief and you can continue on with your training. You inspire me to be better.