May 11, 2009

Race

An Estimated 18,000 people attended the Susan G. Koman race last Saturday. Me along with my sister-in-law were part of that 18,000. When I found out about the whole Breast Cancer thing a group of women told me about this group of women called the Young Survivor Sisters. It is a non-profit organization, more of a support group, that is for women 40 years and younger who need support. I meet the head lady Ginger in Layton and we rode down together. I was so glad she called to see if we could ride together because I got to know her better and she is awesome.

We arrived a little bit earlier so we could get a good parking spot. Around 8 tons of people starting showing up. There were so many people I couldnt believe it. My friend Ginger knew the lady from FM100 so they asked to take a pic with the Young Survivor Sisters group, that was pretty neat. Once the race started Ginger and I stayed back so we could get a pic of all the people from behind, my sister in law ran the 5K and we caught up with her at the end. If any of you know where the Channel 5 building is that is where it started, people were lined up on both sides of the street all the way to the old Childrens Museum. Hopefully my pic's did it justice so you can see.
After the race they had all the Breast Cancer Survivors line up and they did a celebration walk, we all got roses and we walked through the Gateway and up on the steps were they took our pics and released beautiful doves. This was a wonderful day! Hopefully next year I will know about it more in advance so I can get you all to join me. Several people had their support groups with them, ie, family, friends. Next year I hope all of you can join me for this wonderful event. You will be amazed at this group of women who have beaten the odds, and meet seveal people who are walking for those who have lost their battle to Breast Cancer.
Thanks Pip for coming with me, you are the best!

4 comments:

Marie said...

That is seriously so awesome!! You are an inspiration :)

"THE" fab 5 said...

kuddos to PIP for the only one that went with you. If I lived in the same state I would have changed anything to have been there to show my support for you!!! You are one amazing woman! We love you and will support you in Nebraska whenever we can!

hjofam said...

Great job Tray!! I am very proud of you for doing it. I wish I could've been there with you, but some plans just can't be changed, and I know you understand that. I am hoping to do it with you next year though.

Joleen Pearson said...

Tracy - I am also very, very proud of you in every way. You are so full of life and have so much love for all. Your pictures were incredible. It really must have been quite an awesome experience to see this all and to be a participant in the celebration. If possible, perhaps one year I can join you, too. Love, Joleen